I was hesitant at first – but I went ahead and bought zucchinis at the supermarket to make this chocolate zucchini cake. Sorry but this would be my very first attempt on a chocolate cake – with zucchinis.
Maybe the word chocolate got me going. I have this insane addiction to Goldilock’s chocolate cake roll in the Philippines and I honestly think I can have the whole roll to myself – femininity aside. Think moist, chocolate and chocolate glaze and you will get what I mean. Sadly, when I moved to Seattle, lady Goldilocks was nowhere to be found. It was a blessing in disguise since I proved to myself that I can breathe and live normally without that chocolate roll. I resorted to making my own chocolate goodies to satisfy the evil tooth and I came across this recipe for a chocolate cake – with zucchinis. At first I was really, really hesitant. It was beyond uncertainty on my part, but I am so glad I set that aside and made the cake. It was the “very moist” decision I have ever made.
Oh, and butter was replaced with unsweetened apple sauce. Honestly though, this is a chocolate cake so the word “light” will mean nothing, but throwing a couple of calories out the window can help a little bit, as long as the taste won’t be sacrificed of course. My favorite part of making this cake are the chocolate chips – sprinkling them on top of the baked cake, baking it for another 5 minutes, then spreading the softened/almost melted chocolate chips to form an even glaze. I put the leftovers in the fridge, and the next day the chocolate glaze hardened a little bit and it gave a crunchy start followed by the “still very moist” cake. I am in heaven right now.
- 1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups grated zucchini
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease with cooking spray a 9x13 baking pan.
- In a mixing bowl, beat sugar and oil until well combined, for about 1 minute. Add the eggs, applesauce and vanilla extract, beating until fully combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine flour, sifted cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, whisking well to combine.
- Add shredded zucchini. Mix well.
- Transfer the batter to the baking pan, spreading evenly. Bake for about 16-20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
- Remove pan from the oven and sprinkle evenly with one cup of chocolate chips. Place back in the oven and bake for another 5 minutes until the chocolate chips soften a little.
- Remove from the oven and using a spatula, spread the melted chocolate chips evenly on the cake to form a glaze.
- Let cool and serve.