Sunny days are still here and Mother’s day is coming up this weekend. I mailed my Mother’s day package to my mom yesterday hoping it would get there on Saturday – if not sooner. What’s in the package? Can’t tell you, but I can give you a hint: they are chewy, nutty and smells like peanut butter and honey. That’s right! I made these peanut butter and honey cookies for my mom two days ago and, hoping she won’t read my blog this week, I am posting it today just in case you want to make them for your mom too. I have considered sending her some Chocolate brownies with caramel glaze or even Nutella thumbprint cookies , but knowing my mom she would have preferred something nutty and not too sweet.
The first time I made these cookies I fell in love because they were chewy and sweet enough to satisfy my demanding sweet tooth. The batter would be moist and scooping them on a baking sheet would be a little difficult, but trust me they will turn out great if you cook them right. I have used an ice cream scoop to make large cookies, and I used a silicone spatula to help them out of the scoop. They don’t have to be perfect circles because they will flat out in the oven – a phenomenon I still find interesting.
For the peanut butter, I have used an extra crunchy peanut butter from Market pantry found in Target stores. The nuts in the butter will yield crunchy and nutty cookies, but you may also try using creamy ones. It’s totally up to you!
- 2 1/2 cups crunchy peanut butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- On a low speed, beat the peanut butter, brown sugar, baking soda, and honey. Blend for a minute until mixed, then slowly add the flour and mix well.
- Add the eggs and vanilla. Mix on low speed until just blended, about 25 seconds.
- Scoop the dough (about 2 tablespoons) onto the baking sheets with 1 to 2 inches apart. Do not press down on the dough.
- Bake one cookie sheet at a time for about 13-15 minutes or until slightly brown. Remove from the oven and let cool on baking sheet for about 5 minutes, then transfer for a cooling rack to completely cool.
- Enjoy the the cookies!
- yields 2 dozen