I was hesitant at first – but I went ahead and bought zucchinis at the supermarket to make this chocolate zucchini cake. (You can also try chocolate zucchini brownies and other variations). Sorry, but this would be my very first attempt at a chocolate cake – with zucchinis.Jump to Recipe
Maybe the word chocolate got me going. I have this insane addiction to Goldilock’s chocolate cake roll in the Philippines and I honestly think I can have the whole roll to myself – femininity aside. Think moist, chocolate and chocolate glaze and you will get what I mean. Sadly, when I moved to Seattle, lady Goldilocks was nowhere to be found. It was a blessing in disguise since I proved to myself that I can breathe and live normally without that chocolate roll. I resorted to making my own chocolate goodies to satisfy the evil tooth and I came across this recipe for a chocolate cake – with zucchinis. At first, I was really, really hesitant. It was beyond uncertainty on my part, but I am so glad I set that aside and made the Chocolate Zucchini Cake. It was the “very moist” decision I have ever made.
Oh, and butter was replaced with unsweetened apple sauce. Honestly, though this is a chocolate cake so the word “light” will mean nothing, but throwing a couple of calories out the window can help a little bit, as long as the taste won’t be sacrificed of course. My favorite part of making this cake is the chocolate chips – sprinkling them on top of the baked cake, baking it for another 5 minutes, then spreading the softened/almost melted chocolate chips to form an even glaze. I put the leftovers in the fridge, and the next day the chocolate glaze hardened a little bit and it gave a crunchy start followed by the “still very moist” cake. I am in heaven right now.
Chocolate Zucchini Cake – Best Desert To Try at HomeCourse: Uncategorized
1 1/2 cups granulated white sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
2 eggs, lightly beaten
2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder, sifted
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 cups grated zucchini
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease with cooking spray a 9×13 baking pan.
- In a mixing bowl, beat sugar and oil until well combined, for about 1 minute. Add the eggs, applesauce and vanilla extract, beating until fully combined.
- In a separate mixing bowl, combine flour, sifted cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, whisking well to combine.
- Add shredded zucchini. Mix well.
- Transfer the batter to the baking pan, spreading evenly. Bake for about 16-20 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
- Remove pan from the oven and sprinkle evenly with one cup of chocolate chips. Place back in the oven and bake for another 5 minutes until the chocolate chips soften a little.
- Remove from the oven and using a spatula, spread the melted chocolate chips evenly on the cake to form a glaze.
- Let cool and serve.
Try more delicious recipes:
- Nutella Banana Bread Recipe – Hungry Brownies Special
- Perfect Brownie Brittle Recipe: Crunchy, Tasty & Easy to Make
- How to Make a Protein Brownie: Nutritious Recipe Guide
- Homemade Oreo Cookies- A Perfect Delicacy
- How to Make Brownie in the Microwave: Quick & Easy Guide
- How to Make Marshmallow Brownies with Brownie Mix