I just love our Capitol hill neighborhood, not only because I can get the most amazing burger in Seattle a few blocks away, but also because Sushi Maki is right around the corner. Sushi Maki is a hole-in-the-wall Japanese place good for take-outs. My husband and I crave sushi at least twice a month and this place is very convenient and they offer one of the best sushis I’ve ever had. I always order California roll and their cucumber sunomono or cucumber salad. “Sunomono” is a Japanese term that generally refers to a variety of vinegared dishes.
It’s quite simple to make one yourself and this recipe is so healthy, light and refreshing. I added red onions and topped them with sesame seeds but that is totally optional. This recipe is good for appetizers or side dishes, but you can also eat them by themselves when you feel like eating something very light and refreshing for lunch or dinner.
Refreshing Cucumber Onion Salad
Healthy and Tasty Cucumber Onion SaladCourse: Uncategorized
2 medium cucumbers, peeled
1/2 medium red onion
1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons sesame seeds, toasted
- Cut cucumbers into very thin slices. Place in a double layer of paper towel and squeeze gently to remove any excess moisture.
- Slice red onions thinly and toss with cucumbers.
- In a small bowl, stir together vinegar, sugar and salt. Pour the mixture over the cucumbers and onions.
- Top with roasted sesame seeds (see TIP)
- Serve immediately.
- If you choose to add roasted sesame seeds, begin by placing a pan or skillet over medium heat. Add the sesame seeds and evenly spread them across the pan. Shake the pan every 20 seconds or so, I often use a wooden spoon to stir them around. Shoot for a light to medium caramel color, then turn off the burner and take the pan off the heat. Place in a bowl or plate to cool.
You can munch up this healthy Cucumber Onion Salad for a nutritious meal. Besides this recipe, you can go ahead with little variations like cucumber onion salad with mayo, cucumber onion tomato salad or something which you find god in taste and has nutrients as well.
Try below recipes too: